18 December 2008

Lussa på Djurparken

As many of you know, we live RIGHT next to the Borås Zoo. It is a BIG zoo, and a fun one to visit. Our city and the zoo has a project going where they want to integrate kids with animals and nature. We just happened to get lucky and belong to the day care that got picked to be a part of this program. So two days out of the week the day care kids walk to the zoo and get to learn about the animals. One day out of the week the zoo keeper comes to day care and they have some kind of nature/animl activity/lesson. They get to do all kinds of fun stuff from helping make penguin food to riding the ponies and getting the first glimps of the new baby elaphant. They also go out in the forest to learn about exciting stuff. I think Elsa and possibly Kajsa now know more about animals than I do =)

Anyway, as a result of the fact that they have a lot of connection with the zoo the older kids at day care got to go and "Lussa" at the zoo. I happened to have the day off but Elsa got to go anyway. Lucia is a celebration in Sweden (Inspired from a saint in Italy) and is celebrated on Dec 13th. (Or on the days surrounding it) Lucia,a girl, wears a white simple night gown and wakes her family early in the morning with candles in her hair and breakfast in bed. She sings "Sankta Lucia" As she wakes everyone up. It's a SUPER DUPER cozy and fun tradition. I'm posting a little clip of Elsa right after they went and sang at the zoo. Kajsa and I went out to meet them and were greeted by a very happy Elsa.



P.S. December 13th marks my 6th year in Sweden.
I arrived in Sweden with Elsa in my tummy on 13 Dec 2002

1 comments:

Avery said...

Wow. Thats a long time to be in sweden! I remember when you guys moved! :D