17 April 2009

Happy late Påsk!

Posted by Picasa


I made this collage last week and I thought I had already posted it. Some of you may think that it is strange to celebrate Easter by dressing up as witches and pretending that you're going to fly to Blåkulla to have a seanse with the Devil. Before you judge another culture as "weird" I just want to let you all know that many Swedes think it's morbid to dress up for Halloween, when it's really "all hallowes eve". I constantly tell people that it's just about letting the kids have fun. It's like a costume party, okie okei?
I personally think; let kids have fun and keep culture and tradition alive. Dressing up as witches around Easter time started sometime in the beginning of the 18oo's here. Why dress up as a witch? Witch trials happened a little earlier here in Sweden than those in Salem. Of around 400 people that were killed for being witches between 1492-1704, about 300 were killed between 1668-1676. So there was a big "witch movement" during those eight years. This time period was called Det stora oväsendet. I don't know why they started dressing up as witches during the eighteen hundreds, probably to honor all the innocent people who were killed.
Either way I think it's smart to remember what happened. I took the oportunity and tried to teach my girls a little about how people were way back when. We talked a bit about what happens when people are SUPERsticious and how fast things can get out of control. I doubt that any of that stuck with them though, they were mostely excited to eat the chocolate.

All of the pictures except the middle one are from the day care celebration. I dressed up as well of course, cause I'm childish like that =) Only there were no pictures of me, (evil laugh). I'll let you all emagine what a horrid ugly witch I was that day.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I'll admit, to me it seems a little strange. But then again, to others the thought of a giant white bunny delivering eggs may be even stranger. Where does he get those eggs anyways? Baby chicken stealer!!

Chelsey said...

hehehe. Those pics are way cute!

And I dont think my hair as gotten any more curly. I actually think it is more straight. So it went opposite.My hair is usually pretty super urly and really hard to straighten, but lately its been easier wearing it straight. And yes, It does take effort for me to get cute. LOTS of effort. haha.

Sara said...

I'm so excited to see you guys when you come!! YAY! I have a couple of questions about the girls...probably for Michaela...but I'm not sure if I have your current e-mail addy Mia. Could you please email me?? Love you!

*Melina* said...

vilka söta kort..
Vilken bra beskrivning av påsken.. nu vet jag oxå varför den firas och man klär ut sig.
hi hi
man har bara alltid klätt ut sig för "så har man alltid gjort", men man lär sig varje dag. Får ta och prata om påsken med mina barn nästa påsk. Tänk att det ska behöva komma någon utifrån för att man ska få lite perspektiv... =)
tack