28 March 2009

Ice Fishing!

Posted by Picasa

Where to start, where to start. My mothers family comes from Dalarna. That is north of where we live. The area has an amazingly beautiful landscape and the people there have an awesome dialect. Every time we go to visit relatives there it feels as if I'm coming home, despite the fact that I've never lived there.

My mother has one brother and MANY cousins that live in the surrounding area. We had the opportunity to meet quite a few relatives. While there, we stayed with my mom's cousin, Sivert. He lives way out in the middle of the forest right next to a lake. Being at his place brings back childhood memories since we were often there on vacation when I was young.

One of the first things we did when we came was go down to the lake and ice fish. We drilled a few holes, but the only thing we caught was a few cute pictures, no fish in sight!




Here's a little clip just to let you see how thick the ice was. From the collage above it makes it look as if it's not thick at all. Sivert said he could even take his tractor out on the lake and drive on it. Wow, amazing.......but I'd rather not try it, I'll just take his word for it :)

2 comments:

Sara said...

I LOVE your collage, I think it's beautiful! How fun to get to ice fish! It's something I've definitely never done.

Anonymous said...

Wow... I think I remember hearing stories about a lake and some story your mother told us that they would tell to keep the kids out of the water. Am I right? Is this the place? I loved listening to your mom's stories when she told us about Sweden. :0)