11 January 2009

MMR Vaccinations

I just wanted to write a little note to those of our family and friends who have kids. Don’t forget to vaccinate your children. There has been sort of a surge of anti-vaccination groups lately. The idea that vaccinations are ineffective or cause autism has been gaining popularity due to the likes of people like Jenny McCarthy and Oprah Winfrey.

Just in case anyone we know and love has happened to hear these alarming claims and started to doubt whether they should vaccinate their children against measles, mumps, and rubella, I just wanted to let you know that such claims are unsubstantiated pseudo-science. Read more about it here. The sad thing is that because of some peoples irrational fears, there have been a lot of outbreaks of theses diseases lately in developed countries like England, Canada, and the United States.

Seeing as how theses diseases have all but disappeared, it’s easy to neglect how serious they once were. The vaccinations work, and they save lives! So don’t forget to protect your children.

~Thaddeus~

2 comments:

Sara said...

I would have to agree with you on this one :) In my health classes I watched a video on the polio outbreaks and what happened and I thought- why would anyone want to risk their kid getting that? In fact, today is Zsolt's 4 month appointment and it's one of the many joys he will experience - getting vaccinated. Shh, don't tell him.

Avery said...

I don't know how I feel about this post. I fully, whole-heartedly agree with you about getting kids their shots. But the MMR makes me so nervous. Brea has been receiving them SEPARATELY. Yes, three different shots, 1 month apart, to make sure she gets all three. That can be done, just have to find it. Say what you want, but so far, I don't have regrets. What I would regret would me losing my daughters smile, her laugh, even her tears. Her saying Mama and Dada and looking at my face. Guess we agree to disagree. :D Love you Cuz lol